Thursday, July 11, 2013

Sriracha Chicken

Hi. My name is Megan. And I'm addicted to Pinterest.

There. I said it.

And I made it, too.
Sriracha Chicken, that is.
I have this bad(?) habit of looking at the name of something and the picture and saying to myself "You can make that, you don't even need to look at the recipe!"

That's what happened here.

I saw the Honey Sriracha Chicken on Pinterest and despite my lack of love for the spicier foods in life, I decided it was a must for our lives.

I decided that I would throw this one together in the crock pot. I want to sound cool and say that it was because I knew the flavors would meld together and it would make everything super flavorful and delicious. Really, though....I didn't want to stand and baby it at the skillet and the chicken was still frozen. :)
Chicken tenderloins - I used about 2 lbs because I wanted to have leftovers
Edemame - this is optional, but they are spicy delicious!
Corn - 1 can
Crushed Pineapple - About 3 Tbsp
Sriracha sauce - I used about 4 Tbsp, but it really depends on your preference
Honey - We only had about 1/4 of the small bear left, and I used half of that
Plain Yogurt - approximately 1/2 cup
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste

I layered the chicken on the bottom, then threw the edemame and corn on top. Add the crushed pineapple and the rest of the ingredients on top, pour in some water (how much sauce do you want? Don't forget that the chicken will release a decent amount of juice, too). I was in a hurry so I put it on high for about 2 hours, but this would be PERFECT to set up before work, set it to low and let it cook until you get home. **Wait until just before serving to fold in the yogurt. It seems like it tempers the spice of the sriracha more than if you let it cook in there from the beginning.**

I have to put a disclaimer in here. Travis doesn't like rice. He grew up with rice at meals like I grew up with mashed potatoes...except I still love mashed taters. Instead of letting me make the pasta I had intended to put this deliciousness over, he suggested rice.

In my head, I KNEW that making the rice in the rice cooker and then adding it was the way to go. And then my laziness and desire to do nothing took over and I dumped the rice in the crock pot, convincing myself that it would be fine and the rice would be done in 20 minutes or so.
Don't do this. Either cook it separately or make pasta. The rice didn't cook. It stayed crispy inside and mushy on the outside...and it's gross.

But there's light at the end of the tunnel for this mess! There's hope for you yet!
D LOVES the cheese roll up from Taco Bell. We pulled the chicken out and shredded it. T had a quesadilla and D and me had chicken and cheese roll ups. DELICIOSO!


No comments:

Post a Comment