Sunday, January 22, 2012

Helena Hekiphump

When I was a kid, I had a hard time saying the word 'elephant', as I hear most kids do. My word for elephant was 'hekiphump' (pronounced heck-ee-fump). 

A couple of years ago, I gave my mom a small gift box from Barnes and Noble that was simple cross stitch projects. She needed something small and simple should could easily do while relaxing on weekends, or when work was slow (she used to work from home). Unfortunately, she never really got around to doing any of them, partly because she has rheumatoid arthritis and her hands hurt. So a few days ago, I was sitting in the living room and realized that D had pulled it off the shelf and it had just been sitting there with him walking all over it and the dog playing soccer with it. I picked it up, dusted it off, and decided I'd finally give cross stitch a good try. If I couldn't do it this time, well...there may have been no hope.

The first project I chose was the most adorable little elephant - and I don't even like elephants! The book names her Ella Elephant, and she's shown with grass and spraying water from her trunk. But me? I took one look and just knew she was a Helena. I must say, I'm very proud of myself. :)

Next I tried to do a zombie bride and groom (I LOVELOVELOVE zombies) from a kit T gave me last Christmas. Well...they only provide materials for the first three projects, and mine is like the second to last. So...I have to wait til I can make it out to get the thread colors I need to finish. Oh well, I needed to go out to get stuff to teach the kids basic cross stitch. We're going to make their mom book marks for Mother's Day. 

And today....I finished up the second animal: Darius Hutihu (pronounced hoo-tee-hoo). Why Darius? Because he's a Hootie (and the Blowfish) of course! :D You can thank T for that one. **pause here for shower due to D's seriously huge poosplosion**

I'm thinking I'll keep up with the cross-stitching...for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment