Friday, January 13, 2012

Peenybudder Cookies

I recently posted a recipe for my version of my mother-in-law's banana pudding cookies. The other cookie I remember her making (and disappearing first) were her PB&J cookies. They were delicious, like eating the best PB&J ever. Her cookies were thick and full of nutty goodness, and sandwiched in the middle was the Goober jelly spread - you know, the one where the PB and J are swirled together in the jar, so the J is a little thicker.

These were T's FAVORITE that his mom made, and I know he's been missing them. So I decided to take up the challenge to make my own version of these awesome treats. First I made the PB cookie batter and then decided to mix the J right in so it would cook together and be like a sandwich all in one bite. The way I did it turned out well, and I like them the more I ate them, but I think next time I'll follow the recipe I'm about to share and then sandwich some jelly between the cookies for a sandwich. Either way works wonderfully, but the recipe below is the best PB cookie I've ever tried. It stands on it's own.

Peenybudder Cookies
3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1  cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 giant scoops of PB, creamy or crunchy (I used approximately 12 oz of creamy PB)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl: flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, brown sugar, and blend well.
3. Whisk wet ingredients in another bowl until creamy: butter, vanilla, eggs.
4. Combine wet and dry ingredients until mixed well. Add PB and blend throughout.
5. Refrigerate batter until firm (you CAN bake immediately at this point, but cookies hold shape and tend to bake better if refrigerated first), then spoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until edges appear dark brown and top appears golden brown.
7. Loosen cookies from cookie sheet with spatula, but do not move to cooling rack (can move to a plate to use cookie sheet for more cookies) as the cookies will sag between the slats of the rack. Let rest at least 5 minutes.

To make into PB&J cookies, spread jelly on the bottom of one cookie and press another cookie bottom onto the jelly.

Otherwise, sit back with a big cold glass of milk and enjoy the best PB cookie EVER. Of course, I'm a little biased :)

**This recipe is also initially based off the Nestle Tollhouse recipe on the back of the chocolate chip bag**

No comments:

Post a Comment