Sunday, January 22, 2012

Who's Run? Ray's Run!


I'm glad I'm finally getting a chance to post this, though I deeply wish I didn't need to.

When I got pregnant with D, I desperately needed people to talk to that were also pregnant at the same time. I turned to www.babycenter.com and joined into the discussions with my birth month. During the pregnancy, I grew attached to a few of the hundreds of ladies, and eventually we all formed a private group. It was lovely, though for the first 4 months of D's life, I worked an odd schedule and couldn't join in much. And then, on January 14, I lost my job. I immediately turned to my old friends for comfort, but found myself doing the comforting somewhat.

September 1, 2010 brought the birth of an adorable little boy named Ray. His mommy, Erin, is one of the nicest people I know. She's very diplomatic (which is wonderful, except when you KNOW you're right and you want her on your side!), and she cares so much it's ridiculous. I got to learn more about her and Ray throughout our pregnancies, and we congratulated each other on our births (mine on September 9). Everything was going beautifully with the kids growing and learning more and more each day, with hundreds of pictures being posted to the group daily.

January 11, 2011 brought one of the worst tragedies a parent can ever go through. Ray was at his daycare taking a nap when his care provider realized that he wasn't breathing. She did everything she could, as did the paramedics who arrived insanely fast, but to no avail. Ray Gregory passed that morning due to SIDS. This was one of my biggest and worst fears with D. I still wake sometimes in the night just to make sure he's breathing and his blankets and pillow aren't over his face. I also sometimes prefer he nap on me, despite the inability to get anything done, simply because I revel in the feeling of his breath on my cheek or neck.

Erin and her husband decided that instead of wallowing in their misery and heartache, they were going to do anything they could to prevent this tragedy from happening to any other parent. They organized a charity run called Ray's Run. Last June was the first annual run, and the last I heard they planned another for this year, though their site hasn't been updated yet. I doubt this year that Erin will be participating, though...she's due with another son soon!

I also found out that a friend from high school lost her niece of 3 months to SIDS in 2011, too. Ms. Imogen Riley was very very loved, from the pictures I've seen (and really, how could you NOT love a little baby?) and is missed more every day. SIDS has hit me close to home, though thankfully not IN my home, so I wanted to take the time today to remember these two special babies, as well as all of the other lives lost to this syndrome.

Take a moment to snuggle your little ones, no matter how not little they are these days, and stop by Ray's Run to show your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment