Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thankful for Friends

My mom's best friend is just an amazing woman. I've known her since I was 2, and I couldn't be more grateful for her.

Her son was born with club feet and required a lot of braces and such to correct the problem. He also has several congenital health problems with his joints and bones, as does his mom. Her dad passed a few years ago from brain cancer. And yet, through everything, she has remained a rock for everyone around her. I remember getting myself into a sticky situation where the job I was working was with a company that was unable to pay promised paychecks. Susan was working for an attorney in an area of law I'd never had experience with. She convinced the attorney that I was the perfect fit for his need of an assistant. Problem solved WITH a raise and better benefits. While there, she spent every Saturday morning at her church helping with the food pantry. She borrowed her dad's truck to drive an hour into the country to bring food and warm clothing to a family that was in dire need of the help - she and her family stayed for nearly 5 hours helping around the house.

Lately, her health has been deteriorating along with her son's, making it impossible to maintain her job. I don't have a lot to spare, but I know that we've had a few random days smattered through that have been pretty chilly. So I decided to cheer her up with a new hat and a couple of scarves. See them below, and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment